Monday, February 16, 2009

Marathon Dad

Jack decided to get back into races with the Mercedes Marathon. He hadn't run an "official" race in over a year so we were excited to go and cheer him on. I loaded up the girls and we headed out Sunday morning. In the car, Grace was asking me about when we were going to see her daddy and if we would give him snacks and water since she saw me pack it. I told her we were going to look for him really hard, there was going to be lots of runners. She asked me "what color shirt he wearing?" I know I'm her mother, but man, her intelligence surprises me sometimes. How intuitive to think about what he was wearing and that being a way to spot him.
After we found a good spot to watch for him, in his blue jacket and then green shirt, we started working on our sign. Grace was so proud of her "Go Daddy Go" sign. She then wanted to make a sign for "Daddy's friends" (the other runners). She wanted to know their names- of course I had no idea everyone's names. She was upset with me but finally settled with a "Go Daddy's friends" sign.
We went to several different spots to find him and Grace got very excited every time we found him. This spot was upsetting to her- she did NOT understand why "all those cups on the floor? Why they not pick them up?" It took all I had to hold her back from running out to pick them up.
Jack did great! He finished in under 4 hours which was his goal. Kristen and Jeff came out to cheer him on at the end. It was a great race! Congrats Jack!

No comments: