Friday, March 14, 2008

Mick Mouse Lives at Wal-Mart



Grace and I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up a few items. I made the mistake of allowing Grace to walk around the aisles of Easter items instead of riding in the cart. She walked directly over to a Mickey Mouse Easter basket, yelling "Mick Mouse! Mick Mouse." She proudly carried Mick Mouse around all the aisles placing items in the basket and wearing it on the inside of her elbow. She even picked up a little bunny and showed it to me saying "for Bella" and placed it in the basket. I thought when we made it to the checkout line, I could hand it over to "pay for it" and ask the lady to put it away because we did not need it- she has several baskets. This trick has worked many times. But it did not work this time. She refused to give it to the cashier. We checked out and paid, with her gripping Mick Mouse the entire time. I told her to tell Mick Mouse goodbye and grabbed it from her before she realized what was happening. She went into the "silent scream" and didn't breathe or utter a sound all the way until the door. The cashier was yelling behind us "she's not breathing! not breathing!" She screamed, not silently, the entire way home for Mick Mouse. I kept trying to explain to her that Mick Mouse lives at the store and he couldn't leave. She screamed until she finally cried herself to sleep for her nap. When she woke up- the first thing she said was "go store- see Mick Mouse." We made it through the rest of the evening without any mention of our lost friend but sure enough, when I woke her this morning, the first thing out of her mouth was "Go store- see Mick Mouse." Before any of you get any ideas- we don't need or want a Mick Mouse Easter Basket ;o)

6 comments:

BlessedMom said...

You mean, mean mommy!! My bet is that, just to annoy you, you're going to get quite a few of these baskets!!! ;)

Kim said...

this is hilarous! i know not for you, but a great story! now grace has something to look forward to when you go to wal-mart. maybe she will get it that he does not get to come home with you.

Anonymous said...

little did i know that Mick Mouse lived so close to our house..how funny! i knew Grace had a great memory... and good job Mommy for sticking to your boundaries!

Michelle and Jason said...

Girl, I can't tell you the number of times Kathleen has taken something to the checkout line thinking it was coming home with us, and the disappointment on her face when it didn't. But, there are some things she just doesn't need! You're a great mommy for letting Grace know that she can't always have everything she wants, especially if she already has a gazillion Easter baskets at home. I, however, would not have been creative enough to tell her that Mick Mouse lives at Walmart; I'll have to remember that for next time :)

Anonymous said...

Everytime I babysit Grace we look at the blog so she can tell me all about the things she's doing...I can't show her this or it will bring back bad memories. I don't want to upset her while I'm there watching her!

I guess your lesson was more about buying things than behavior, but from my standpoint I would intermittently reward her good behavior (of not taking things off the shelf) with a treat. Since you were allowing her to put things in the basket she probably assumed you would let her have it! She is almost 2 you know!

I guess she'll learn quickly with Aunt Kristen that she'll have to earn a toy that she wants with good behavior (is that just the teacher in me coming out?)...

:-)

Jack Carney said...

Well I for one am proud of how we handle Grace in these situtations and I am certain it will allow her to be a self-reliant, well-adjusted and likeable person one day. If you don't mind, I'll use the treats to reward the dog's good behavior!

All the excitement about this blog is great. I just wish the MS entry would have generated as many comments. It is a much better cause than Mick Mouse!