Saturday, August 2, 2008

Happy Retirement!

My dad officially retired on July 31st. The day before, his work had a great party for him- including quite a roast...Jack, Grace and I went over to Atlanta to represent the rest of the family and show our support- and to surprise him. We promised Grace a party for Papa and told her there would be cake. We didn't know to tell her there would be 45 minutes of speeches first, all celebrating my dad's years of work- and gentle teasing about his "frugality." Grace sat very well staring at the cake, listening to the people, watching the slideshow- for about 43 minutes. She listened to her Papa's speech from the hallway and clapped excitedly, yelling "cake!" when he was finished.

We wish you many great years during this next phase of your life- and can't wait to spend more time with you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace, thank you for surprising me at my retirement party, as it was great fun. You were very patient and I know you enjoyed the ice cream and cake. Your presence also tamed down some of the kidding, which was a good thing for your papa.
Love, Papa

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite moments was when Grace independently said "I had fun at your party Papa" with no prompting from anyone. So Sweet!
Love,
Nana