Friday, March 27, 2009

Add "Flap" to Grace's skills

I had to pick up some donuts for my MOMS group and Grace was in the car when I went through the drive thru. She of course asked for a donut and I told her she could have one if there was any left after the meeting. I thought this would be the end of the conversation. Instead, she asked "Well, how many people are going to be at your meeting?" I answered, "15" wondering if she was really going to analyze this situation- she just turned 3, surely she's not old enough... And sure enough, the next thing out of her mouth was "And how many donuts did you get?" I told her "20" and she said "Well, sounds like there is going to some for me!" She didn't do the math but she knew 20 was bigger than 15...Super impressive Grace!
So- I then started wondering if I should be doing math with her, she seems to have some of the skills to comprehend it. I told her we were going to play a game "Math" in the car. We did several word games and she loves it! And she is good. We do small word problems- like "2 people are in the store and 2 more come- how many are there?" We do subtraction too. Almost 100% of the time she gets it correct. It's funny- the only thing she doesn't understand is the word- she calls it "flap." Almost every day in the car she asks to "play that fun game- flap!"

No comments: