Friday, May 22, 2009

The Long Drive

We started our drive to Wisconsin after the graduation. We were armed with lots of movies and snacks and games to keep Grace busy. I'll admit we were a little scared and didn't know what to expect on the 12+ hour drive. Both girls were great! A++ Grace only asked to watch one movie which is surprising because it's a special treat. We sang lots of songs, played lots of "math" and she read lots of books.
Grace, Kate and Jack loved the stops for gas and bathroom breaks. Kate would literally squeal out loud when we opened her door! Grace and Jack liked to take looooooooooooooong walks around the rest areas- I think just to drive me crazy. I was ready to get there. We needed to make one last stop of Friday night before we got to our hotel room. We were pulling into the rest area and I was telling Jack no fooling around, we have to be very quick when I parked and saw this out my window...Me: "Oh No"
Jack: "Uh oh"
Grace: "Why you say 'oh no?' Why? Oh, PLAYGROUND! Look! Playground!"
Apparently in Illinois they use their tax dollars to pay for playgrounds at every rest area. Who knew? I'm not a mean mom, I did let her play for five minutes while Jack called a client. And she was very good and got back in the car when I asked her.
Grace loved staying in the hotel. She thought she was so big sleeping in her own bed in the same room as Jack and I and Kate. She really liked the breakfast ;o)
The drive in the morning went great too. We were playing one of Grace's favorite games about where she lives- city, state, address, etc. and I decided to add on phone number. We told her the number 4 times, just 4 times and she had it. It's funny to hear her say it since she uses the same inflection I used to say it to her. It was amazing she learned it so fast!
Grace was disappointed when we crossed into Wisconsin. She asked where all the cars were. What?! Apparently she thought it was "Wis-car-sin."
Great car ride girls!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I need advice on how to keep the two kids occupied for a 12 hour car ride! We're going to Williamsburg, VA in a few weeks and it's 12 hours. I need help!

Matt and Emily said...

Wow! I am so impressed. I'm glad the trip went well.